I love the Fantasy Genre because…
- There are dragons (who can hate dragons?) and other incredible beasts.
- Characters wielding magic (for better or for worse).
- Massive battles that shake the very fabric of the earth (or a different planet, depending).
- Breathtaking landscapes (Imaginary? Who cares? It’s awesome).
- It is a place to escape and vicariously ride a dragon, assassinate the enemy, or build friendships with the most unlikely of creatures.
- I could probably go on forever with this list but I will stop and end with one more.
- It saved my life and provided me with a haven.
When I was younger, I was pretty isolated. I didn’t really have any (real) friends. I played on a soccer team as a homeschooler. These girls went to school together so of course I am going to be seen as the alien. This alienation even occurred at church of all places. I understand that there are MUCH more traumatizing things to experience and some of you may be thinking that it wasn’t really a big deal. Just remember that as a young teen (or before) everything is relative and blown up to seem worse than it is.
Anyways, I am not trying to complain about my childhood. For the most part, I am proud of who I have become.
My point is that literature has an immense power in our lives. During that low point for me I had thoughts (only thoughts) to harm myself and when I finally found Lord of the Rings (or it found me) I was saved. Middle-Earth became my home.
Oddly enough, I wrote a poem in a class about this very thing. You can find it in the poetry category. It is titled: “Groundswell.”
Let me know what you guys think! I would love feedback of any kind (as long as it is somewhat civil of course).
Until next time!